Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Time Traveler's Wife

"It's hard to be left behind. I wait for Henry, not knowing where he is, wondering if he's okay.

It's hard to be the one who stays.

I keep myself busy. Time goes faster that way.

I go to sleep alone, and wake up alone. I take walks. I work until I'm tired. I want the wind play with the trash that's been under the snow all winter. Everything seems simple until you think about it. Why is love intensified by absence?

Long ago, men went to sea, and women waited for them, standing on the edge of the water, scanning the horizon for the tiny ship. Now I wait for Henry. ..."

I almost bought this book in December, but instead opted for The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, because I had read somewhere it was supposed to be good. I still haven't been able to suffer past more than 40 of the 167 pages. But The Time Traveler's Wife has a different effect on me: I was sucked in before the first page even ended! (Now I'm on page 395, and still loving every moment of the story.)

No comments: