Sunday, February 24, 2008

Wristcutters: A Love Story

wristcuttersposter A boy, distraught after a breakup, cuts his wrists and ends up in an after-life world reserved for suicide victims, that is like the real world, only a little worse.  He discovers that his ex-girlfriend also offed herself.  Ah!  Hope in a hopeless world!! He and his new friend, a Russian rocker, set of on a road-trip across a very desolate land, where they meet some interesting characters, in search of her.

It's quirky and funny and as you watch them travelling to nowhere, you are captivated to find out where they will end up.  The boyfriend and I agree it is the best film we're seen in a long time.  In fact, I watched it again today.  I can't remember the last time I watched the same movie 2 days in a row, because I wanted to, and not because I fell asleep the first time.  I loved it just as much the second time around. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wristcutters is a great example of adaptation of story to film. What a film and what a story!!
I have loved Edgar Keret from the moment he started writing stories and can recommend his collection of short stories "The Busdriver Who Wanted to Be God" (Toby Press $12.95)to anyone. The last story in this volume "Kneller's Happy Campers" is the story that Wristcutters was based upon. If you like reading even half as much as you like watching movies: Enjoy!