Thursday, February 02, 2006

Speech, Speech, Speech!

No, I am not remarkable enough to have won a Nobel Prize or an Academy Award! :( In the morning, I have to stand up in front of 100 people (the whole office!) and give a brief introduction and outline of the Social Committee and what our plans are for activities for this year.

To make a long-ish story short, 3 people resigned and now I am now running the Social Committee show. I must admit, it's a bit exhilarating to have that kind of control! Also, I am being forced to get over my fear of public speaking... eeek! I am a quiet talker, so do I used the microphone and run the risk of having it make that horrible screeching noise when I first open my mouth to speak? or, do I go without and hope that the people waaay in the back can hear me? agh! I'm going to be up all night worrying that I might sleep in and miss the meeting (I'm already being called in to work a 1/2 hour early for this meeting). I think faster than I talk so I hope I don't stumble on my thoughts. I suppose I could actually write out what I have to say, I mean I sort of already did, but it's just a list of items I need to touch on and not really exactly what I have to say; besides, I don't want to be "reading" a presentation to the office. I will just have to take deep breaths, and try to slow down my thinking, and no Redbull for breakfast (the caffeine makes me think even faster). Sure, I can do that!

It has been suggested that I picture the front row naked... eeek! That's probably scarier than having to give the presentation in the first place.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so how did your speech go. We all think you did well.

angel.girl said...

eh, well I turned red as soon as my name was cllaed on to go up and talk. And I stayed flushed the whole time, but I was told that no one could tell because of the lighting in the room. I don't know why I do that; I blush at the mere mentioning of my name, if it singles me out and makes people look at me.

I didn't cover everything that I wanted to, but I was the only one who knows that, and I touch on everything that was most important. And I probably spoke a tad too fast. But I am my own worst critic.

Sylvia (from accounting) said she was impressed by my presentation; I didn't leave myself open for any smart-ass comments from the peanut gallery.

Anonymous said...

Nice one.. You know I knew it!