Sunday, December 18, 2005

Hit From Behind

I hate the world!

How it is that I can be driving along, obeying all the traffic rule and lights, and still manage to get in a car accident due to another driver's carelessness? It totally makes me not want to drive any more!

Here's what happened. It was Saturday, just after 12:20 in the afternoon. I had taken Miranda to tap class and on the way home we stopped at the mall for a quick trip to the Jacob store. I was out of the mall parking lot, and stopped at a red light at between Kingsway and Nait. The roads were clear of ice when suddenly there was a huge bump from behind. I yelped and Miranda started bawling. I looked in the rear-view mirror to see a big red truck on my bumper.

I was stunned and although I didn't hear a crunch, I was terrified to see what state the rear end of my car was in. I jumped out of the car, opened Miranda's door to make sure she was ok (still crying, but no blood), overall probably not the smartest thing to do in the middle of traffic, and then proceeded to the rear of the car. It was fine! No cracks, no dents!

Still shaking, I managed to grab a pen and paper and take down the guy's name and number and address and plate number. When I got home I checked closer and through the dirt on the car (I just washed it last Saturday afternoon, honestly!) I could see scrapes in the paint, and I mean right through the paint. :( I called the phone number and it was a wrong number! I quickly learned my lesson about getting insurance information at the scene of the accident, just in case.

So I went to the police station, at my father's advice. The officer assisting me was a girl I went to school with in Junior High! She ran the plate number and all the other information the guy gave me was correct, so she called the number on file. She talked to the guy's mother, and informed her that he would be advised to talk to me when I called because otherwise it would be deemed as a hit and run for giving me a wrong phone number. She gave me the phone number and I left, feeling much more hopeful that I could have my car fixed.

Today I called him and he was quiet willing to work with me to get my car fixed. He apologised and wished me a Merry Christmas. Yes, Merry f’ing Christmas when I am the one who has to take the time to drive all over town to get the estimates and work done. Not to mention that my baby is only 4.5 months old and not whole any more. :(

No comments: