Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I thought it was a thing of the past

As I was driving to work this morning, I saw something that I thought I would never see in this day and age; how naïve I am to think that such a thing would be a thing of the past! I saw a new-ish car driving, with child in the back seat of a car, standing up, and leaning into the front of the car! In a safety conscious society, where we have laws governing infant and child seats, I would never have thought that a child would be in a car without a seatbelt, let alone off the seat. How can people be so irresponsible?! I felt so sorry for that girl, to be in such a situation, with such uncaring adults. Then I thought how fortunate my child is to have a me as her mother. As an infant, I even took her car seat with me in the airplane, so she would be securely fastened during take-offs and landings. This meant purchasing an extra seat ticket to ensure there was a seat for her car seat be put in, even though the airline would permit children under the age of 2 to sit on an adult's lap for free. As a result of my diligence, I now have a child who is hesitant about getting into a taxi because there is not a booster sat for her to sit in, and not once has she ever tried to undo her belt while we have been driving.

No comments: