Monday, September 10, 2007

1 minute 13 seconds

September 9, 2007: Scott and Angeline visit Galaxyland and ride the Mindbender rollercoaster together. They landed the sweet front seat, where you can experience the ride with nothing obstructing your view. The ride lasts for 1 minute and 13 seconds. You travel a total distance of 4,198 feet (1,279.6 m), reach a height of 145 feet (44.2 m), drop 127 feet (38.7 m), and hit a max speed of 60 miles per hour (96.6 km/h)... and love every minute of it!!

I can't remember the last time I was on the rollercoaster (wow, probably 10-ish years ago). My daddy used to take me on it all the time when I was a kid! Some people won't go on it because of the accident; some people just don't like rollercoasters. They don't know what a rush they are missing out on!! I didn't say anything when Scott double checked my restraints; as if I was going to let myself be not properly secured in my seat! ;)

As the train cimbed up the first hill, and we were at the top and just about to turn over the peak, I wondered to myself, oh shit, what the hell was I thinking, agreeing to sitting at the front?! But then we went down and around and up and loop-dee-loop and my hair was blowing all over the place and Scott was whoo-hooing and it was so much fun and we went this way and that way and then into the tight third loop and then around on the side (I was sitting on the close to the ground side that Scott had wanted, next time we'll know better) and it totally sucked when the ride stopped!! And Oh! I just realised that the part that used to freak me out the most when I was a kid, the side close to the ground by the mirror part... well I didn't even notice the mirror this time around. Being in the front car is the best place to be!!

Before the Accident June 14, 1986: I was 3 days away from turning 10. There was an accident at Fantasyland, and loose bolts on the wheel assembly cause the train's last car to break off the track. The car hit two support pillars before entering the third loop. Three people were killed and a forth person was paralyzed. One person was a friend of my after school teacher.

The rollercoaster opened in 1985. Now the mall stops the rollercoaster every 2 hours for routine maintenance checks, and in the 21 years since the accident, the Mindbender has had an excellent safety record.

No comments: