Wednesday, September 12, 2007

My vanity and the distorted perception of reality

A few months ago, I used to believe I was perfect because of my imperfections. Today, I feel like my imperfections are taking over, and I'm not pretty enough. I'm getting fat. I'm getting wrinkles. I'm getting grey hairs. I'm growing older. I look at the girls on the fashion and beauty magazines, and I don't look like them. The truth of the matter is, most of those girls on the magazines don't look much like themselves either.

I found this site - a project made for the Swedish Ministry of Health and Social Affairs. It's an interactive Flash Demo that illustrates how almost every part of this girl's body has been altered to create a more attractive photo. I knew this already, but it's easy to forget just how much a photo can be digitally altered.
click here to launch
I don't know what my problem is. I'm pretty, my daughter thinks I'm pretty, I have a boyfriend, I have friends who like to be seen in public with me, and the children don't shreak and run in fear when they see me. I am perfect and attractive in the eyes of the people who matter the most to me, so that should be enough. I'm working on accepting that.

Now I'm obsessed with retouching. Here is another site that illustrates the changes that can be done digitally. I espacially like the close ups of the faces/lips.


(I also really like these shoes!!)

No comments: