Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Raynaud's Phenomenon

My finger tips turn white and go numb and slowly so does the rest of my fingers. It happens on days that are even 16C outside! I cannot even drink a cold beverage from the fridge wihtout my fingers turning white from the cold glass. Then as my hands warm up, the white turns to red, and it HURTS! Lately, it has been happening to my toes, even inside the house! And it has been a balmy winter here, the warmest in history.

I went to see the doctor and he touched my hand and recoiled from the cold and from the colour (they were blue). He declared that I have *insert dramatic music here* Raynaud's Phenomenon! oh joy. He told me to look it up on the internet. Was he implying that I am an internet junky?

He was surprised to hear that I have had this happening since I was in high school. He said he would write a prescription out for me. He opened my chart and freaked out a bit at my last blood pressure reading. Guess what, I have a low BP reading and the drug he wants me to take has a side effect of reducing blood pressure. He wrote me the prescription, told me to take 1/2 a pill if I feel dizzy. He also wrote a prescription for the heating pads to put in my mittens and socks.

I feel like an old lady, blue and cold and about to keel over from the lack of blood flowing to my extremities, sipping tea to warm my bones. :(

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a time when this problem did not exist. You are killing yourself kiddo, you know what I mean. My solution is canadian beer.

angel.girl said...

Beer? Ick. I tried to drink it and I have no idea how you boys can stomach the stuff. It makes my stomach ache. But I like the drinking idea; I'll just have to stick to the wine and vodka and rum and all those other yummy choices to warm me.

Anonymous said...

alchy... If you can't handle the beer with the big dogs then you should sit on the porch. Stick with the croisants.
Stick with the ultimate solution and eat right... you know what I mean.

angel.girl said...

yes, yes. And don't ask me to share the croissants with you.