Monday, October 09, 2006

Long Weekend, Little Sleep

Friday seems like it was so long ago...

Saturday night I went to the new Sidetrack. It's not like the old Sidetrack. :( Gone are the wooden tables (and that hockey table thingy with the dome) and now there are marble tables and the bar top is all marble. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice and new, but it reminds me of an upscale lodge, with the quasi-rustic pictures on the walls. And the dance area is much smaller. A funk band was playing, they call themselves The Superband. They sounded good, but it's just not my kind of music.

We were sort of an odd bunch of people - Noemi, Jennifer from the dance studio, Jenn's friend's husband, John (who owns the Blue Plate Diner), his brother-in-law Adam (world traveller born in AZ and grew up in YK now lives in NYC), his friend Kory who has been living in Germany for years now but actually grew up next door to Tyler, who I dated in high school, (when they were kids, Kory threw a toy car at Tyler's older brother and left a nasty scar on the ex-NHLer's forehead) Jenn's friend Tracy from BC and she's moving back to BC, and me.

It probably wasn't even midnight yet when we left the Sidetrack and walked down the street to The Roost. I think Adam and I were the only gay-bar virgins of the bunch. It was, um, interesting! I have always envisioned The Roost would be more farm-like in appearance, with white picket fences. haha! They played some great music, and upstairs they played some awesome rave variety music. It was surprising that I even had gay men wanting to dance with me. Half of us nearly shut the place down and we sat up drinking tea and talking at Noemi's until dawn. It was after 6:00 by the time I got home.

With it being a long weekend, I went out on Sunday, too. It was low-key but I saw a good cover band playing at the Druid. Another late night, I was home after 4:00. I sat on the couch for a while, listening to music, and dozed off. When I finally climbed into bed, I just had to get up again to turn off the alarm clock since it was Monday morning and usually a work day.

It was one of the best Thanksgiving weekends I can remember. And I didn't even have a turkey dinner! My step-mum called this morning and cancelled our dinner plans. I didn't know if I should be happy or sad. Let's just say I wasn't sad. Mirnada had a turkey dinner yesterday so she wasn't missing out on anything, and today we had a fun afternoon with our friends!

No comments: