Saturday, October 14, 2006

The "sorry for nearly killing you" Card

Noemi darling, so sorry for my involvement in your near-death experience today. Some mothers will do anything to get playdates for their children! Let me know if there is anything else I can do. I sincerely hope you get well soon. kiss kiss, Angel.

I made her a card, which I will take to her tomorrow with my crutches and her child (I kept Sadie overnight so Noemi could rest and recover).

We were out walking in the cemetery early this afternoon. Noemi was jogging a bit (I was walking as I didn't have running shoes with me) and as we were leaving the cemetery, I suggested we stay on the grass. I didn't say it out loud, but my reason was because Bo (her little dog) was running off-leash and it makes me nervous when he runs by the road, so staying on the grass inside the cemetery would have given us a little bit longer away from the cars. This split second decision changed the course of the day's events in a way neither of us could have predicted.

She caught her foot in a hole and fell. Her ankle swelled up instantly. We determined there was no way she could walk back to the dance studio (some 5 blocks away) so I ran off to fetch my car to rescue her. It took me 15, maybe 20, minutes and in that time, she laid on the grass, with one bare foot, her sock, shoe and handbag strewn beside her, a wrote-iron fence and sidewalk keeping her in plain view to the cars passing on the street (and stopping since there was a street light RIGHT THERE), and NOT ONE person attempted to see if she was ok.

No comments: