Friday, November 17, 2006

Baroque Masterworks

I have been invited (well, I was planning on going earlier today but I put it off so we could go together) to The Art Gallery of Alberta (formerly the Edmonton Art Gallery) to see the a travelling display of the Baroque masterpieces currently in the permenant collection at the National Gallery of Canada (the country’s finest art museum). I'm so excited that some real art is coming to town! I think the only think I miss about living in Texas is visiting the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth.

The Art Gallery will be hosting an exhibition of 12 precious Baroque masterwork paintings from the permanent collection of the National Gallery of Canada by the likes of Peter Paul Rubens, Rembrandt van Rijn, and Nicholas Poussin. Baroque Masterworks from the National Gallery of Canada features Italian, French, Spanish, Dutch and Flemish paintings dating from 1600 to 1750 arising from different social, political and religious climates. As a result of their age, rarity and historical importance, paintings such as these seldom travel. This exhibition provides a unique opportunity for Canadians to see these national treasures.

Yay! Hopefully they will have more than 5 paintings. Gosh, am I cynical or what?

No comments: