Monday, November 13, 2006

The Song Works!

"Post Punk Laptop Rapper", Mc Lars raps about Ahab and his hunt for Moby-Dick, and his video has him dancing with a bunch of children.
Call me Ahab, what, monomaniac Obsessed with success unlike Steve Wozniak On the hunt for this mammal that once took my leg With my warn down crew and my man Queequeg
Miranda loves the song, asked for me to put it on her MP3 player, and everytime it plays in the car, she asks me questions about the story of the captain and the whale. (What kind of whale, why did he chase the whale? did he think he could get he leg back? how big was the whale?) Today she asked me if there was a book we could read, or a movie we could watch about the story. (Next thing she'll be asking about is who is Steve Wozniak, and then she can learn about the invention of the Apple computer!)

She's six years old, and asking me to read her 19th century classical literature. My little brain-child :) The book is 700 pages long, but there is a children's version that is just over 100 pages, and hopefully I can track down a copy.
She was also asking if I had more songs about whales, so I told her about the song Captain Nemo by Sarah Brightman, a song about Captain Nemo from Jules Vern's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. She hasn't asked about that book yet, but I think I still have a copy of it in the basement.

No comments: