Friday, April 20, 2007

Surprise! Meet the Parents

Before reading this post, make sure you have read the leading up to this post first

New Scott (who from now on will be referred to as "Scott" and the Old Scott will now be "Old Scott") ... so Scott took me with him to dinner at his parents' place yesterday. He didn't ask if I wanted to go with him, he just told me that was the plan, a quick bite, no dishes or anything like that, because we were running on a limited amount of time to get to motorbike shopping.

When I finally got through the door (Scott blocked the way for a while because his niece rushed to the door to greet him), I shook his mum's hand and then she gave me a hug. His niece was shy for about 10 seconds, and then she must have said my name a hundred times in the short time I was there, which is impressive because she's 3 an my name isn't the easiest to remember! We chatted about dolls and my little ponies and on being "shhh" when people are on the phone, and she's so sweet I just wanted to scoop her up and squeeze her to death. His nephew was flirting with me across the table, between putting his bowl on his head and his eye in his chocolate milk. His sister and brother-in-law seem very nice. His dad I had met before, and I unintentionally managed to slip in the fact that he abandoned us while snowmobiling in February. When I was leaving, I was told that next time I had to bring Miranda with me. They were so warm and friendly, and I can see why Scott actually likes having dinner with his family all the time.

My point is, Scott cannot be compared to the Old Scott just because they share the same name.

And who are my mother and step-mother to judge my new boyfriend based on the history of an old boyfriend? Here I am, having already met Scott's immediate family and one aunt, and the only person related to me who he has met is Miranda... what does that say about me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see at least 1 benefit: at least you won't be mixing up names of previous boyfriends ;-)

angel.girl said...

Too late for that now! If I wanted it to work out that way then I should have skipped you and gone straight to the new Scott. ;)